Thursday, October 07, 2004

From Memory to Keystrokes

I would first like to start this entry by extending my gratitude to Sean for giving us this venue to turn our memories into written word and to share our honest thoughts about the present and future state of our country and our faithful who blouse their boots or mount their dixie cup nearly every day for us. I enlisted eighteen days after graduating from high school and served actively between 1991 and 1995 and in the reserves until 1998. During most of that time, I was young and did not appreciate what I was doing and what the Navy was doing for me. It has been six years since my last day of service and I can tell you that I appreciate the military more now than ever before. I look forward to sharing my experiences with each of you.

3 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Blogger Pat in NC said...

I have commented on the previous blogs. All of you have a special place in this old nurses heart. God bless all of you.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger StingerDoc said...

Memories...

On Saturday, my wife and I were driving to a local orchard to let our son go mad in the pumpkin patch and on our way there we passed a guy jogging up the street in blue diver PT gear and an Alice pack. What a flashback, I spoke with a guy a few weeks ago at my garage sale who is still on one of the teams as a reserve member and he told me that there were a number of team members in my neighborhood. The point of this post is...we really do carry signatures with us and it is amazing how these signatures work as common identifiers to others who have read the same book. The same guy to a different set of eyes may have went unnoticed or may have been described as "some crazy dude running around in short shorts wearing a large backpack." Just something to think about.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger StingerDoc said...

A moment to remember...

I am sitting in the front row of my Field Medical Service School class at Camp Johnson/Lejeune in 1993 (Septemberish) and I fell asleep while Secretary of the Navy John Dalton was addressing our class. Apparently, I slept through his exit and my resting state did not go without notice. My next memory...the palms of our staff sergeant's hands coming down full force on my thighs. An execution that involved a leap from the stage and the assistance of gravity and physics. If the display was as good as the results, I would certainly give him a "10" in both categories. Man...that sucked...and really hurt too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home